Sunday, September 8, 2013

DTC356- Lessig Readings

Where does information come from? In my opinion information comes from everything. History certainly repeats itself. This free culture that we still have in our possession allows us to reinvent or modernize ideas that were once utilized in a certain time period. The example in the reading of Steamboat Bill that was "copied" and changed by Disney into Steamboat Willie in my opinion was a from of  reinventing something worth keeping fresh in history. Being that Steamboat Bill wasn't a huge success in box offices on its own, it should be flattery that Disney wanted to reinvent the 111min film into a 7.75min short cartoon film that brought the debut of Mickey Mouse and joy to children all around.

As far as the Manga and Doujinshi culture in Japan. Its a huge market. Because its too big a market to regulate as far as the stealing of ideas. There is not enough lawyers to prosecute offenders of piracy, so they allow the illegal marketing of Doujinshi to run parallel with the Manga Industry. Its interesting to know that Doujinshi actually helps the Manga market financially. They fear if Doujinshi was banned the Manga market wouldn't be as successful as it is today.

I agree with Lessing about there is a lot of free culture still around but there will always be areas that one needs to be aware of that is un-free or permission needed. I think a society will exhaust themselves if everything had to be asked for permission which in my opinion would slow down the evolutionary changes of the culture that we embrace today.

2 comments:

  1. In your opinion, should ideas and intellectual property be protected?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giving it more thought, yes, ideas and intellectual property should be protected. People have put forth lots of time and effort to develop and pioneer their works. If I were to use someone else's ideas into my creation and I expect to make money off of it, it should be implied that royalties get paid for it or at least permission granted, because I consider myself a decent human being. I also wouldn't want anybody to take credit if I were to have created something new and exciting. Its such a touchy subject. blah.

    ReplyDelete