Sunday, September 1, 2013
DTC 356 Meaning of Images
In the reading section of "How We Negotiate the Meaning of Images", I found the part about the representation of smiles interesting. It natural to think of smiles being a positive expression. In Yue Minjun paintings, the smiling connotes the Chinese art movement of cynical realism, and reference to both modern and traditional China and the legacy of the laughing Buddha. I put that information in the real world. As humans, we sometimes smile even if we really don't feel that same way inside. People use smiles as a mask to hide their true emotional feelings that they don't want to share. So depending on the context and having an understanding of "The Principles of Semiotics", that I just learned about, images will have a different meaning than the obvious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hmmm, very true, good point. Sometimes it is easy to tell when someone is faking a smile, like a yawn, it is easy to tell when someone is pretending to yawn. Though sometimes, when one does it often, they get good at pretending to be happy and smiling all the time.
ReplyDelete